Small but very, very powerful – which is why we want to present to you, in case you haven’t already heard of them, Chia Seeds.
Despite their size, they’re a superfood. Just by submerging them in a little liquid and leaving them for a short while, they’ll grow and have the capability to offer you great bodily benefits. All it takes is them expanding to offer you a handful of advantages.
It may appear that we’ve only just discovered Chia Seeds since wanting to commit to a healthy diet and lifestyle; it can seem like they’ve been made into something fashionable, a fad, so to speak, that is temporary. Instead, these Chia Seeds are neither new or going to be leaving us any time soon. They’re here to stay and you’ll be sure to be eating them more than once.
The plant itself is what makes these seeds such a superfood. It belongs to the mint family, originating in Mexico and Guatemala, countries that have turned it into their food’s most basic ingredient since the Mayans and Aztecs. They’ve been used for over 4,000 years and really are quite impressive little seeds.
After reading the next couple of facts, you’ll understand why they’re so impressive: they have 5 times the amount of calcium as in milk, 3 times the antioxidants of red fruits, 3 times the iron in spinach, twice as much fibre as oats, double the protein of vegetables, as well as twice the potassium of a banana. All of that in a single spoonful of organic Chia Seeds.
Why do we use Chia Seeds every day and recommend them to you?
- They’re perfect at controlling hunger and food cravings that could unbalance us both physically and emotionally.
- Eating them for breakfast will keep you full for the whole day, giving your body only what it needs. – As they must be soaked in water before being eaten, they’ll keep you hydrated.
- They’re a substantial source of Omega 3, perfect for your nervous system.
- They protect us from the effects of environmental and toxic pollution like tobacco.
- Because of all the unique ingredients listed above, they’re a great source of energy.
- They help us get rid of liquids and toxins that accumulate in our body.
Chia Seeds can be included in your shakes and bowls, as well as in yoghurt or kefir. Try a yoghurt pudding with Chia Seeds and dates and/or banana. It’ll become your new favourite dessert or snack.