Ceylon cinnamon: you enter your front door, smell cinnamon and let yourself go. You see yourself at home as a child, when your mother prepared delicious desserts like rice pudding and your day, at that very moment, turns 180º. It’s the powerful effect of the cinnamon stick. It transports you, carries you, make you feel like few other spices do.
As one of the most widely recognised spices with the highest accompanying price, the cinnamon stick holds an honorary place in all cuisines. Its uses are endless, not only in sweets and desserts, but also in salty recipes. Assign a stick of cinnamon to your dish will take it to the next level. It’s so desired that it also exists as a luxury good used in: candles for your home, essences for the very best perfumes, medicinal ingredients for its powerful effects. The cinnamon stick is one of the treasures of both this and all other centuries.
Ceylon Cinnamon is the most authentic and is of the highest quality, resulting from its laborious extraction process. Originally from the Lauraceae, a tree growing more than 10 metres high, the very best cinnamon is extracted from the tree once it reaches 4 or 5 years of age. The work takes place during the rainy season to make it easier and the cinnamon is left to dry for 24 hours. The outer side is then scraped off and rolled, then allowed to dry, first in the shade and then the sun. From there, it’s stored in jars so that in arrives to our homes in only the very best condition.
In addition to its unmistakable flavour and smell, what other benefits does cinnamon have for our bodies?
– Eliminates stomach gas, inflammation and pain caused by digestive disorders.
– Healthy for the colon by helping to eliminate bile salts and other waste (it will free your body of gas and reduce bad breath caused by stomach problems).
– Cardiovascular health greatly benefits from cinnamon as it helps to reduce blood pressure.
– It detoxifies our blood, releases it from toxics and helps us lose weight by enhancing our body’s movement and utilization of carbohydrates and sugars.
– Thanks to its anti-inflammatory effects, it’s a great remedy for menstrual pain.
– It’s also great at fighting diabetes, thanks to its Cinnamtannin B1 component that stimulates our insulin receptors, enabling our cells to better use the available glucose. *It’s fundamental to eat cinnamon…May it always be of excellent quality and always organic. Take care of your body with only the best product. Buy it as a stick and add it to your infusions (it goes perfectly with a good tea chai latte), to your desserts (baked apple with a cinnamon stick) or to salty recipes.
When using it in cocktails, proceed with caution. Cinnamon is very powerful and with only the smallest amount, you’ll have a great deal of flavour in your drink. You can add it to your cocktail directly, in its stick form, but the best idea, to get the most out of it, it to prepare cinnamon syrup by infusing it with water and sugar for 10 minutes. Add a few drops, very carefully, to your cocktail. It’ll go amazingly with rum and apple, lemon or lime juice. Another option is to combine it with apple or pear juice and whiskey. So, are you going to try it?